I'm Randy Mouri and this blog is about my quest to be an official finisher in the Race Across AMerica (RAAM), the toughest endurance race in the world. It's over and I became an official solo finisher in 11 days, 1 hour and 13 minutes! We continue to raise money and awareness on behalf of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia (Habitat NoVa). If you would like to make a donation to Habitat NoVa, please visit my page on Habitat’s site. Endless thanks to our sponsors and all the folks that have made such generous contributions. Team Mouri would not have been able to travel so comfortably, which certainly may have changed the outcome of the race.


Monday, May 3, 2010

THE NEED FOR MEASUREMENTS

There is always a need to record measurements of some sort, when trying to achieve a goal.  As with anything, you need a benchmark from which to measure improvement (or lack thereof).  That measurement can range from one's waistline, to blood lactate, to average speed on the bike.  Regardless of what that measurement is, it needs to be relative to one's goal.  What is relative; and what measurements will give me optimal results?  Well technology has been changing for the better since the mid to late 90's (back when I was frequently testing my V02 max).  I've been out of touch with the latest and greatest measuring devices that are now available and at reasonable rates.

Doug Baumgarten and his wife Beth of Sport Fit Lab will be helping me determine what is best for me in my quest for RAAM 2011.  We'll be testing on a number of measuring devices and under a number of package deals that they have to offer.  I will elaborate on the test results as they are taken and give feedback on what I feel is most beneficial in attaining my goal.  I'll try to post some photos as we progress, though it is not a pretty site when one is trying to max out their heart rate.

Stay tuned.  This will be an exciting segment of the blog and I hope to share a great deal of information with everyone.

No comments: