I'm Randy Mouri and this blog is about my quest to be an official finisher in the Race Across AMerica (RAAM), the toughest endurance race in the world. It's over and I became an official solo finisher in 11 days, 1 hour and 13 minutes! We continue to raise money and awareness on behalf of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia (Habitat NoVa). If you would like to make a donation to Habitat NoVa, please visit my page on Habitat’s site. Endless thanks to our sponsors and all the folks that have made such generous contributions. Team Mouri would not have been able to travel so comfortably, which certainly may have changed the outcome of the race.


Friday, May 21, 2010

Day 6 of the Elite PAC Tour


We crossed the Rocky Mountains via Wolf Creek Pass.  It's a long 8 mile climb over the mountains and everyone made it fine.  If you know about the DC Randonneurs, climbing is just what we do.  Maybe for a shorter period of time, but nonetheless, I'm sure that everyone in our club would have enjoyed this section.  I hope you can view the photos to get a little perspective of the grade.

My maximum speed descending from the pass was 55mph.  I wanted to reach 60, but strong cross-winds made me grab for the brakes.  On a calmer day, who knows how fast I could've gone.  I know a couple of tandem groups that would scream down that section.  The lone tandem in our group on this tour.melted their rims coming down the last pass on the previous day and had to swap out wheels.  I'm hoping to spend more time to update the who's who on the elite tour, but time goes by so quickly.  It's constant moving and preparing for the next day.

I just wanted to let everyone know that tweets are hard to send in some of the areas we ride through, so I'm apologizing now for the gaps between some of the updates there.  Just let it be known that I'm combating saddle issues, some neck issues and sleep issues.  With 13 days remaining, I can only take one day at a time.  It's been a slight suffer fest for me, as I expected, but it's an enjoyable hurt.  Each pain that I can overcome makes me feel that much stronger (not that I want any more pain), but I think you know what I mean.  That said, I'm going to try to get a good night sleep for once and hope that the day tomorrow is a little better.

Thank you for all your comments thus far and for all your support.  I think of everyone often as I'm riding along, so if you get that wierd feeling inside...that's me thinking of you!

Those of you that are riding.  Hope you're riding strong and hope the brevet series is going well (if you're a rando-type).  Looking  forward to hooking up to tell some stories.

Hugs to everyone!

No comments: