I'm Randy Mouri and this blog is about my quest to be an official finisher in the Race Across AMerica (RAAM), the toughest endurance race in the world. It's over and I became an official solo finisher in 11 days, 1 hour and 13 minutes! We continue to raise money and awareness on behalf of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia (Habitat NoVa). If you would like to make a donation to Habitat NoVa, please visit my page on Habitat’s site. Endless thanks to our sponsors and all the folks that have made such generous contributions. Team Mouri would not have been able to travel so comfortably, which certainly may have changed the outcome of the race.


Friday, March 23, 2012

DAY 5 - BISBEE, MCNEAL, TOMBSTONE

Susie's story pretty sums up the day, so I won't elaborate. One of my highlights was briefly riding with Bob Stapleton, former HTC Columbia owner.  Bob spoke last evening and showed a movie on the behind the scenes of the Tour de France from 2009. He came out to ride with a few former coworkers. They appeared to be having a great time!

Susie, me and Bob Stapleton
Lon, me, Susan, and Susie on top of Mule Pass.

Susie's Blizzard post-ride treat!
Susie's Day 5: 70 miles today. Hooray! That's the farthest I've ridden since 2005. It hurt, I bitched a fair amount, my body aches but I finished and I got my Blizzard treat, so it's all good. A lot of climbing today, but we took frequent breaks. After a three-mile climb and a nice decent, we stopped at the Bisbee Cafe for a smoothie. A few other riders from the group joined us, which was nice. By the time we got to Tombstone, I was really feeling the fast pace we were keeping. Randy is classic for telling me and everyone around us,"Oh we're going to ride real easy, you know, take our time, enjoy the scenery and get there when we get there." We head out and within five minutes, my speedometer reads 23 mph. Scenery my ass. All I can see is the white line on the road and Randy's back tire about six inches away from my front tire. Just trying to hang on to catch the draft. If I lose my concentration, I lose him and then I'm screwed. Beautiful day, warm and sunny. We enjoyed a lovely dinner at IHop and peanut butter cookies for desert. Eating and cycling, that's about it!

No comments: