I'm Randy Mouri and this blog is about my quest to be an official finisher in the Race Across AMerica (RAAM), the toughest endurance race in the world. It's over and I became an official solo finisher in 11 days, 1 hour and 13 minutes! We continue to raise money and awareness on behalf of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia (Habitat NoVa). If you would like to make a donation to Habitat NoVa, please visit my page on Habitat’s site. Endless thanks to our sponsors and all the folks that have made such generous contributions. Team Mouri would not have been able to travel so comfortably, which certainly may have changed the outcome of the race.


Thursday, March 22, 2012

DAY 4 - SV TO PATAGONIA

Today's ride took us out through Ft Huachuca with a lot of rolling hills. It reminded me a lot of Back Rd, which runs parallel to route 11 (back in Virginia's Shenandoah Valley).  Though the accumulative climbing wasn't that impressive, it was hard work.

Susie working one of the short climbs out of the fort.

The peloton.
We would work our way back to Sonoita for lunch and return back along the same route as day one.  Susie has been riding stronger as the week rolls on.

Susie's Day 4: What a great day! The weather was gorgeous and with the help of magic pills called Sport Legs, I had energy to go 70 miles today. I had some minor tummy issues after lunch and I think it's because I don't normally eat a big ol' meal during a ride. Yesterday was a honkin' plate of spaghetti and turkey meatballs. It was delicious, but it sat like a lead balloon. And today was yummy grilled cheese, but within minutes of leaving the lunch spot, I was getting cramps. The road back to Sierra Vista was gently rolling and with me drafting off Randy, we were making good time. It felt great, but I wish my tummy felt better. I've decided to go with my usual bike food fare of Clif Shot Blocks and Nuun tablets that I put in the carbohydrate  drink. We stopped at Sun 'n Spokes, a cool bike shop near our hotel on the way home and I got what I needed to get me through the last two days. Bike shop, DQ for a blizzard and then a yummy dinner with friends at Vinny's pizza across the street. I've met the nicest people here -- everyone is so supportive and friendly. Looking forward to tomorrow -- I may actually be able to start the ride without toe warmers, jacket and skull cap!! Yeah! Sunscreen tomorrow, baby!

3 comments:

Mike Bx said...

Susie's looking very smart in that kit!! Have a great time, hope the weather continues to improve.

Our Fleche training ride last saturday went very well for Jack, Mike C and myself.

Anonymous said...

Glad the weather is starting to cooperate! Enjoy.
Earl

RAAM2011 said...

Susie does look smart in the SPP colors. I'm all ready for the Fleche, but will get a bit stronger of the next month. Thanks for checking in and leave a positive update on team Chain Reaction!