I'm Randy Mouri and this blog is about my quest to be an official finisher in the Race Across AMerica (RAAM), the toughest endurance race in the world. It's over and I became an official solo finisher in 11 days, 1 hour and 13 minutes! We continue to raise money and awareness on behalf of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia (Habitat NoVa). If you would like to make a donation to Habitat NoVa, please visit my page on Habitat’s site. Endless thanks to our sponsors and all the folks that have made such generous contributions. Team Mouri would not have been able to travel so comfortably, which certainly may have changed the outcome of the race.


Wednesday, April 14, 2010

HOW IT ALL STARTED

Just a quick message to give everyone an idea of what's going on here. In 1994, I competed in the Hawaii Ironman Championships. It consisted of a 2.4 mile swim, a 112 mile bike and a 26.2 mile run. In that order and in succession. Many people would say, "Wow, that's incredible!" In fact, that's exactly what I had thought of my Ironman journey until a month later.

I was sitting on my couch, catching up on some of my magazine subscriptions. I came across an article in Outside Magazine that was rating 8 of the toughest endurance races in the world. The Hawaii Ironman was rated eighth. Guess what was rated the toughest? That's right! The Race Across America was considered the toughest endurance race in the world and to this day, still holds that title.

Over the next 13-14 months, I will share with you my story and my quest leading up to the race day in June 2011. The actual date for 2011 has not been announced, as the current 2010 race is preparing to take place. Inspiring to some, boring to others and just plan crazy to the majority. If nothing else, I hope to bring a little entertainment to the readers of this blog and perhaps share a few things that I have learned and will be learning along the way.

No comments: