I'm Randy Mouri and this blog is about my quest to be an official finisher in the Race Across AMerica (RAAM), the toughest endurance race in the world. It's over and I became an official solo finisher in 11 days, 1 hour and 13 minutes! We continue to raise money and awareness on behalf of Habitat for Humanity of Northern Virginia (Habitat NoVa). If you would like to make a donation to Habitat NoVa, please visit my page on Habitat’s site. Endless thanks to our sponsors and all the folks that have made such generous contributions. Team Mouri would not have been able to travel so comfortably, which certainly may have changed the outcome of the race.


Friday, April 1, 2011

Heart of the South 500

I logged 410 miles for last week.  A slight taper for this weeks Heart of the South 500 (HOS 500).  Training has been steady, but now I need to start increasing my long rides.  I do a number of broken centuries through commuting, but need to start working on the 200-400 mile range.  This will be a progression over the next couple of months with the exception of HOS 500.  I'm not in peak shape for a good race this weekend, but that's not what this event is about.

This weekend will be a good opportunity for the crew to practice.  We can evaluate the general setup of the van, crew responsibilities, navigational skills, the light bar, nutrition log, etc.  Nearly everything will simulate RAAM support conditions.  The time station check point are set up identical to that of RAAM, so this is all good.  We'll experience areas where there is no cell coverage, etc. and will be able to see how our strategy for these areas work.

As for me, this is a good opportunity to continue to add to my fitness level, which is far from optimal right now.  My goal is to ride straight through without sleep, however the evening start time is not in my favor.  I also want to see how long it takes to hit the 300 mile mark.  This will give a general time estimate for my RAAM goal.  "Where I am now and where I want to be in June" sort of thing.  It's all good and very exciting.  I've never been so pumped up for an event before.

There is SO much work going into this.  My crew has been wonderful!  They are such a huge component of the outcome of the race.  We have 6 crew members at the HOS 500.  The only missing support vehicle is the RV, which isn't necessary for this race.  We have an RV practice session scheduled in late April, which will give us an opportunity to review the space available and organize accordingly.  Things are going well.

The crew is going to practice media updates, so if you see some odd posts, etc.  Don't worry!  It's all work in progress and we'll have it figured out by June.  Cheers!

2 comments:

Mike Bx said...

Looking forward to the "media updates". Good luck.

Kelly said...

wow Randy, 500 miles at the beginning of April! I am amazed. Good luck and I'm looking forward to the reports.